Say goodbye to high maintenance hair and hello to natural texture, layers galore, and bold, funky color!
Now here we are in 2021 rollin’ with the natural beauty trend.
When it comes to hair cuts, it’s all about intense layering, shags, and the coolest of the cool girls are rocking full mullets. Blunt is out and wild texture, shags, and disconnected layering is in.
In the color department we are seeing two prominent trends…
Full au naturale - subtle highlights that add a touch of depth and dimension. In addition, many of our clients are leaning into their grey and opting for bold lowlights to keep it fun and vibrant rather than the monthly root touch up.
In a complete contrast to the subtle trend we are also seeing a ton of requests for big and bold blocks of fashion color usually in the bangs or around the face. This is a great way to try on funky colors without the huge commitment. Research “color blocking” to see the various twists on this super fun, geometric look!
My favorite products for natural curly hair:
- Aveda “Nutriplenish” Shampoo and Conditioner for hydrating cleansing and conditioning.
- Aveda “Volumizing Tonic” for lift at the roots.
- Aveda “Be Curly” Curl Enhancer to encourage and define curls and waves.
- Aveda “Confixor” Liquid Gel for a soft to the touch but firm hold. Apply generous amounts (seriously, like a lot) of product, flip your head upside down, and dry with a basket diffuser.
Aveda - Be Curly Curl Enhancer
Aveda - Heat Relief
My favorite products for waving natural straight hair:
- Aveda “Botanical Repair” Shampoo and Conditioner to keep hair strong and healthy even when heat styling.
- Aveda “Botanical Repair” Leave in Conditioner to fortify hair and prevent breakage.
- Aveda “Heat Relief” to protect hair from the hair of the styling iron
- Aveda “Air Control” Hairspray for a light hold to keep those waves in place.
After shampooing and conditioning, apply a dime sized amount of Botanical Repair Leave-in Conditioner and blowdry hair until its 100% dry. Apply Heat Relief to mids and ends of the hair and then mist with Air Control Hairspray. Working in 1-2 inch sections, starting from the roots, use the waver by clamping the iron closed for about 2-3 seconds and continue through the ends of the hair. After you’ve finished waving, spray with Air Control one more time and tousle and bend waves by combing though with your fingers.
Citrus Salon - Downtown Martinez
If you’re looking for a new stylist to create a 2021 look for you, check out @citrussalon on Instagram or visit www.citrus-salon.com
Written by Candice Gliatto